Thursday, June 25, 2009

More Babywise


So, I am writing more on Babywise because all of a sudden it is something I feel more passionate about. I have always believed in Babywise, or at least since I read the first book and saw the success my sister had using it with her first baby.

It amazes me how many people bash Babywise without even having tried it. I can see why so many people are against the idea. When you do a google search on the subject, the majority of information you are presented with is negative. This is the most common article people seem to mention when talking negatively about Babywise.

Now, if you care at all, you can then read this article or this one.

It is funny how someone who is so against Babywise can try to persuade people with their beliefs without really knowing what it is all about. The second link above is so interesting. Some people think that Babywise is so out there! It really is not! There are slight modifications to the AAP recommendations to make a schedule work for you. Nothing crazy.

I have tried following the principals in Babywise and have had nothing but success. There were times when we were first trying out the schedule thing that both my husband and I thought we were going to die from sleep deprivation. But, we stuck with it and now have a 7 month old that sleeps through the night every night. Sure, there have been about 2 nights in the last 4 months that our little guy has woken up in the middle of the night. My husband went in his room to check on him after he was crying for a while (we never go in after just a few peeps from him so he can fall back asleep on his own) so that he didn't think it was time to eat (we were afraid he would think that if mom went in). Dad held him for a few minutes and laid him back down and he went right back to sleep. I know this may not work with all babies but I think it worked so well for us because he was used to going all night without eating anyway.

I think my kiddo is always happy because of the routine we have. He knows that his next meal is always going to be on time so he doesn't worry about that. He knows he will get naps and he knows that mom makes sure he gets them on time. He is secure knowing that he doesn't always have to tell me what he needs - I can anticipate what he needs or will need next and he is calm in that knowledge. He is always so happy and people do comment on it! No, he is not perfect and definitely has his fussy times. Overall, though, we are so pleased with his demeanor.

Babywise is hard work! I don't want anyone who is thinking about trying it to think it is going to be easy. There were times I wanted to quit, but at the same time, in my mind that wasn't an option. I kept going every day doing what I was doing knowing that in the end, it would result in a baby who slept through the night. I was not disappointed. I don't care if other people think that I was too worried about the end result or that I was insensitive to my baby's needs. I know better and I know my baby loves and trusts me and we have no 'attachment' issues. That is nonsense.

I feel strongly about the whole 'cry it out' controversy also. I think it is crap to say that your baby won't trust you if let them cry sometimes. I am not saying you should ignore your crying baby for hours. But I do think that it won't hurt the baby if they cry for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. If my baby cries and cries, I do go check on him and I do comfort him, but only if the crying is unusual. Now that Xander is a little older, I usually know why he is crying. I also know that sometimes he will cry when I lay him down for a nap. He cries for about 5 minutes or so then falls asleep. Imagine how unproductive that would be for me to go into his room immediately upon his crying! He would get over excited or think that I am going to pick him up when in reality, all he needs is a nap. I am not sure how that could be cruel - giving him what he needs (the nap). It is more cruel to confuse him into thinking he can get up and play when he is so tired and also to deprive him of a nap when he needs it! My baby has 'cried it out' at times and is perfectly happy and healthy and is developing normally. He loves to play and is more and more interested in his surroundings every day. He smiles and giggles frequently, eats well, naps well and sleeps through the night. I doubt an 'expert' could observe me and my baby and tell me that my child has some kind of issue because I have let him cry for too long in the past. Ridiculous!

Anyway, I could write about my feelings on this subject for hours but think this is enough for now.

0 comments on "More Babywise"

Post a Comment