Monday, September 14, 2009

Executive decision made.


So today I made the decision to stop my couch to 5k workouts. No, I am not really quitting in the normal sense of the word. I have come to a few conclusions with following this whole plan and here is what I figured out:

- When I run, I get really sore and need to take the next day off from working out. This doesn't really fit with my plan to lose weight because I feel like I need to work out at least 5 days a week to really have it make enough difference to lose weight.
- I burn out a lot faster in my workouts if I run than if I walk. I know with most walking workouts, you would have to walk a lot longer to get the same benefits as running and also to burn as many calories. I like to do my walks at a really steep incline on the treadmill and also at a fast pace to burn a lot more calories than regular walking.
- I want to add in more weights to my workouts and I wanted to start doing some leg exercises but I always felt like my legs were so sore after my runs that I couldn't do the weights the next day. If I did a weight workout when my legs were already sore, I would be so sore the next day that I would probably be able to run about 2 minutes and then have to stop!

Based on the above findings, I decided to temporarily halt my running. I think I would be able to do this program so much better if I was about 30 pounds lighter and that is exactly what I intend to be - lighter and thinner than I am now. It will take a little while, but I know my body will have to work less hard to run when I am lighter and I really do feel like I would be able to run longer and faster then. So for now, I am giving up the running in favor of walking and more frequent workouts, including weights. I hope this doesn't sound crazy. In some ways, I feel like a failure but I am proud of myself that I got through 6 out of 9 weeks of the program. I want to lose weight and in a way I feel like this program is holding me back. Todd and I have talked about changing our habits including diet and exercise and we are starting to make changes. By Christmas, my goal is be down 25-30 pounds from where I am now. I know I can do it!

1 comments on "Executive decision made."

Amy on September 14, 2009 at 9:57 PM said...

I see that Xander's picture made the Photohuntchallenges contest for Black and White photo. I made three of them so far, which I thought was pretty good.

Post a Comment