Friday, January 1, 2010

My 2010 non-resolution list


Well, everyone is talking about the new year and their 'goals'. I hate resolutions because I never seem to accomplish them. I decided this year to make a list of things I would like to do. I guess it is pretty much the same as resolutions but I guess I am just not calling them that.

Here it goes:

1. Be healthy. I am using this broad term instead of saying I want to lose a certain amount of weight. A specific number can be scary and feel overwhelming.

2. Finish Xander's 2 scrapbooks by the end of April. This will be tough since I am working full time now. I really want to get them done though because they are supposed to be for his first year of life and I am only on month 6!

3. Have a garage sale in the spring. We have so much junk to get rid of, I just want to sell what we can and then I can donate the rest.

4. Reorganize the shelves in the family room. They are just a big mess right now with no rhyme or reason to them.

5. Have two lower car payments. We are thinking about getting different cars with lower payments and also better gas mileage than the Jeep.

6. Read 10 books that aren't chick lit. I love to read but never seem to find the time. I would like to read about 10 classic books this year including Moby Dick.

7. Buy a piano. I will have to get a used one to start with since they are so much, but I played piano growing up and would love to have one and be able to play it again.

8. Get the backyard all seeded and the deck finished off. Ever since we tore out the pool, the backyard has been a mess. I want it to finally look nice.

9. On that same note, I want to have the deck stained this year.

10. Make a few homemade items for Xander. I want to make him a pair or two of cloth shoes as well as a blanket or toy or a shirt or something like that. I love the idea of making homemade stuff but just don't take the time to do it.

11. Make a mini Christmas scrapbook. I have the small album already but need to print the pictures and put it together.

12. Go ice skating. I love to ice skate though I am not good at it. I want to get a sitter for Xander and take Todd either this winter or next.

13. Get Xander's toys organized. He has so many right now and a full toybox so we stack them up against the entertainment center when we want to clean up. It is absurd how many toys he has and we need to get rid of a few and store the rest better.

14. Start running again. I did the couch to 5k plan last year and made it to week 7. It was hard but very rewarding and I want to start jogging/running again on a regular basis as well as doing other workouts. This goal is directly related to goal #1. This is a huge goal. Both Todd and I want to eat healthier and work out more and make it a daily habit to be healthy.

15. Get my series 24 if I am still at my current job. I want to get this done within the next 4-5 months. It will take me at least 2 months to study but I want to get it done as soon as possible as I get a raise for doing it!

16. Get my hospital bill paid off from having Xander. Believe it or not, we still have a small balance left so this should be the easiest goal to accomplish as I will make my last payment soon.

17. Get a new kitchen table. We hate ours because it is glass and shows every little fingerprint. We got this as a wedding gift and loved it for a while but it is not our favorite anymore and we would love to find a basic square table with four chairs that is inexpensive. We have a rectangular table right now and we don't really have room for it either. It needs to be a square table to fit.

18. Get bedroom furniture. We have horrible bedroom furniture right now - two mismatched dressers, an old night stand and no headboard or foot rails. Our mattress sits on just the floor frame right now and it looks bad. I want a matching dresser, chest and night stand and either a matching headboard or something that at least coordinates.

19. Get a new kitchen sink. This is something I have wanted for a while and we will probably only get it if we know we are staying in Omaha for a while longer.

20. New bathroom faucets. The bathrooms have the original faucets and are about 12 years old. They are the most basic ones you can find and I would like upgrading slightly.

21. Change all the doorknobs from gold to silver. I hate gold accents so I would love to get the doorknobs all switched to silver. I think we have 9 doorknobs to change so maybe we will do it 1-2 at a time.


I think that is all for now. I am sure I will think of some other things this month and maybe I will post again later with more. I think this is enough to work on for now. I am hoping this year will be better than last in certain ways. I know a lot of how the year turns out is up to me and my attitude towards it but there are also things that could go our way and make the year easier.

I hope everyone else has a blessed new year!

0 comments on "My 2010 non-resolution list"

Post a Comment