Friday, July 24, 2009

Couch to 5k


So, I have decided to try out the couch to 5k plan. I will explain a little about it, but if you really want to know how it's done, go here.

I started on Tuesday (I know, most people start things on Monday - whatev) and I did my second workout today. You are supposed to do this every other day in case you were thinking I only did two workouts in three days and was slacking.

The whole plan is to get you from not running at all (aka couch potato) to running a 5k in about 8-9 weeks. I am not sure I will ever be able to run the whole thing, but if I can stick to the plan, towards the end I think I am going to sign up for one or two 5k races for this fall.

Those who know me well know that I am the furthest thing from a runner you will ever see. For one thing, I am not particularly thin right now. But, I am hoping this gets me closer to thin. I hope by the time I am done with this I weigh at least 15-20 pounds less. I am about 3 or so pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight, but I weighed too much when I got pregnant, so that is not saying much.

I feel so good after just the first two workouts that I really want to stick with it! I know it is so cheesy to say it, but exercise really does make you feel so good about yourself. I feel like I have more energy and I feel happier.

I am actually trying to do additional workouts on my 'off' days, but not running workouts. I am going to stick more to strength training and walking to give my legs a rest. I have already gotten pretty sore from this, but it feels nice to be sore - it makes me realize I worked out hard. I am planning on working out 5-6 days a week total even though the running workout is only 3 days a week.

I don't want to get down on myself but I will be pretty surprised if I stick with this all the way to the end! I am not known for sticking to a workout plan. I really want to do this and think it will be easier than other plans I have tried because I have a very specific goal in mind. I am hoping that will push me to make it all the way through!

1 comments on "Couch to 5k"

Sharon on July 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM said...

What a good idea! I'm going to look into this too. I need something to get my butt in shape! I'm realizing that 16 months later I still have a baby tummy. YIKES!

Post a Comment