Friday, July 10, 2009

Wal-Mart Haters


Why is it that so many people hate Wal-mart? I have been trying to figure that out for a while. Don't get me wrong - Wal-mart is not perfect. It has its flaws, but what store doesn't? I don't go to any grocery store expecting to be waited on hand and foot. If I need something, I will ask but it seems like some people expect too much. You are not going to get that cheap of prices and get great service people! Get a clue!

We have several choices for groceries here in Omaha. We have Wal-Mart, Super Target, Baker's, Bag N' Save, Super Saver, Hy-Vee, No Frills and Fareway to name a few. I don't expect much from any of those. The problem with the nicer, cleaner, friendlier stores is that you usually pay for it!

The fact that Wal-Mart price matches is the main reason I go there. I write out my list, take along my ads and coupons and go crazy! I actually like the layout of the Wal-Marts we have here and I feel like I can find almost anything I need there. They also carry a lot more brands than most of the other stores do. The only thing I noticed is, they don't have as much organic stuff, but I don't buy that much of it anyway. I just know if they did carry more organic stuff and I had a coupon that Wal-Mart would end up being a way lower price.

Because I can price match and I am so into coupons, I save a ton of money shopping! The only thing they don't have which some other stores do is store coupons. I like Target for that reason and I flip flop between there and Wal-Mart a lot. I tend to buy more non-grocery items at Target and most of the groceries at Wal-Mart. I can get a lot of things for free at Target when I combine a store coupon and a manufacturer coupon. I went to Target just a few days ago and got a bunch of stuff for free or almost free with coupons (but that will be a separate post). I just love the thrill of a good deal!

Anyway, I know down south in some smaller towns, Wal-Mart is one of the only options and that is true where my sister lives. She doesn't seem to mind though since she can get everything she wants there and gets great prices too. If we ever move somewhere where Wal-Mart is one of the only options, I will be ok with that.

Stop hating on Wal-Mart people! :)

2 comments on "Wal-Mart Haters"

Anonymous said...

I'm an employee of Wal*Mart and I agree I enjoy doing price matches and coupons as well. As a customer I enjoy saving money and shopping at Wal*Mart. As an employee, I don't like it because of numerous policies and managers. Managers are pressured by corporate employees to do better and therefore lean on their employees to do better in the market and company. We are required to have 15 minute breaks every two hours and a lunch by the fourth hour which I'm thankful for. I enjoy working with my co-workers because we are like family; supportive of each other and are there for each other when neeeded. It's the policy changes and managers I have problem with. Managers try to go by the invisable book that isn't there or make up stuff as they go. Our store manager doesn't treat each of us fairly or even as humans sometimes. I am a cashier and the manager treats the department managers and assistant managers differently that he does the front end staff. Most of the employees at the store I'm at, do not like working for Wal*Mart because of the small petty political stuff that happens that isn't necessary---they turn small stuff into big stuff. Our Wal*Mart has a high turn over of people was well because they LOOK for ways to fire their employees. If management doesn't like an associate, they will look for away to get rid of them. I know it's cruel, but fact. I believe that the reason why people don't like Wal*Mart, is because the way they treat their employees and I agree 100%. We aren't treated fairly by management and corporate employees. Our everyday co-workers treat us better than they do. Overall, I believe that Wal*Mart is a great place to shop, but a horrible place to work--but it's a job.

Anonymous said...

As a former employee, I absolutely agree with your reply. Wal-Mart is a terrible company to work for on the lower end because of favoritism, politics, leading to promoting people to manager positions who have absolutely no clue as to how to run a department or the store. The "BS" then leads to animosity which is than followed by hatred towards the company and than usually leads to internal theft which I have heard in so many cases in the store I worked in. People wake up and smell the coffee. When you solely shop at Wal-Mart, they will become stronger and monopolize. Shop around and spread the wealth. Wal-Mart IS a terrible place to work, but, sometimes it's the only job some people can get or are qualified for which is sad.

Post a Comment