Saturday, August 1, 2009

Couch to 5k week 2


This week I am in week two of the couch to 5k plan. I have done two of the three workouts this week. I am a little behind, but not too much. I am going to work out tomorrow (Sunday) for my third workout this week even though Sunday technically starts the next week. Then next week I will work out Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and I will be right back on track. I don't think I am doing it wrong since really you are just supposed to walk/jog three times a week to stick with the program. It is nice because I never thought I would be able to run at all and I am already up to almost 10 minutes of running each workout. That is crazy to me! I have just never been a runner at all and I am still not, but I think I am on my way.

The first week I walked for 5 minutes to warm up then alternated 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds or walking for 20 minutes, followed by a 5 minute cool down. This week I am at 90 seconds of running alternating with 2 minutes of walking. Even though the walking is longer, so is the running. Next week I think I go up to running three minutes at a time. That will be hard! It looks like you do this two times:
Run 90 seconds, walk 90 seconds, run 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes.

I am not sure how that will go but the plan says to repeat weeks if you need to and to not push yourself too hard if you feel like you can't handle it. I don't think I will need to repeat any weeks and am hoping I can stick to the plan. At the end of the 3rd week or sometime in the 4th, I think I am going to sign up for a 5k which will give me a goal and a reason to stick with it (not to mention the financial commitment).

I am excited to see how this all goes and if I can actually run by the end of this whole thing!

0 comments on "Couch to 5k week 2"

Post a Comment