Monday, August 31, 2009

So much better than I thought!


My run yesterday was so much better and easier than I thought it would be! My last post was me whining about how I was not sure if I could do it. I got on the treadmill, did my brisk 5 minute warm up walk and ran 8 minutes, walked 5 and ran 8 again! I didn't cheat at all - I ran at the same speed the whole 8 minutes both times and didn't have to stop at all! I was amazed!

When I got done with my first 8 minutes (when I started walking) I actually felt like I could have kept going! It was weird because I thought I would be dying by then but I really felt like I could have gone another 5 minutes if I had to!

I think if I tell myself in my mind how long I have to run, my mind knows not to let my body give up on me until I am done or at least getting close to the end. I started my 8 minute run and I still felt really good at 4 minutes and still at 5 and 6 and 7. When I got close to the end, I did feel tired, but not so tired that I couldn't have kept going. I think that is what I am going to have to do with my 20 minute run tomorrow.

Yes, you read that right - 20 minutes! I cannot believe I have to run 20 minutes straight without stopping! The funny thing is, I do give myself permission to fail tomorrow because 20 minutes is more than double the longest I have run at one time. I just ran 8 minutes in a row yesterday and that was the first time I had even done that! If I have to walk 1-2 minutes in the middle of the run, I am not going to beat myself up about it because that is tough stuff! I am not going to go into the run expecting to stop but if I feel I just have to, then I will. If I feel tomorrow like I did yesterday then I think I will be able to do it! I always get nervous when I have to do a more challenging workout the next day! I actually get a little feeling in my stomach but I think it actually helps me do better when I run! Wish me luck!

0 comments on "So much better than I thought!"

Post a Comment